Friday 29 March 2013

G.I. Joe: Retaliation


Fun, fun, fun. These are the key words here, and words I will repeat while talking about this movie. 

To begin with I had mixed feelings about the first movie, on first watch I didn't like it at all but on rewatch I kind of got the sense of fun about it, from the clichéd characters to to the over the top action. And I have grown to really become quite fond of the original. so when the sequel was announced, I was a little confused  it didn't do very well at the box office and wasn't well received but I was happy, anything like the first would render a good time.

But then came the delay, and the rumours. Not a good sign for a movie but I remain hopeful. The original rumours were that they went back to shoot more Channing Tatum scenes given his success since the first. Other rumours were that the lots was re-shot after bad test screenings. whatever the real reason I didn't care much, I just wanted to see the movie!

This time around we find the Joe's betrayed and on their own seeking retaliation (see what they did there!) against those who betrayed them, mostly Cobra!!

All the rest will contain spoilers!!

The action kicks off with the Joe's on a mission to basically reacquaint us with Channing Tatum's Duke and introduce the new characters, at the forefront of which is The Rock as Roadblock. Now it was known pretty early on that Tatum's Duke would be killed off, and then came the rumours that he was being put back in given is success in other movies, as I said above.

But those rumours were false and Duke is promptly killed off pretty early on as the Joe's are betrayed and mostly killed off. But the death doesn't have the desired effect for the audience and is soon forgotten.

But let's be honest the plot is just there to propel the action forward and the intricacies of it are not all that important. This is a showcase for over the top action and it delivers on that. 

Lots and lots of big guns! Lots of explosions. And as we have all seen from the trailers, Ninjas, on ropes, swinging fro mountains. And it it this scene in particular that makes me love this movie. And this is where the 3D works best. I mean it is the stuff of our boyhood fantasies (well some of them anyway), ninjas fighting while swinging around from giant cliff faces.

This set piece is the highlight of the movie for me.


The rest of the movie is lots of action, lots of one liners and lots of fun.

The Rock is a little decent enough but a little underused as the lead, in fact the movie seems confused as to who is the lead and I am not sure if that was intentional or not, it starts with Tatum, then it seems The Rock is going to step up but then it seems like they want Bruce Willis's retired general Joe to take the lead but he seems to step aside for The rock.

That aside all the actors do what they need to do and are solid for what this movie is. And the inclusion of my favourite character actor Ray Stevenson is a bonus.

The 3D is weird in this, during the action it s good, especially the wire fighting Ninjas but other than that it seems out of place, and there always seems to an object in the foreground slightly out of focus obscuring the scene just to give depth.

I can see a lot of people not liking this but I would urge them to just switch off and have some fun!!

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment